D.O. MILLS BUILDING.
at Historic State Park of Columbia, California.

1852 In September, Daniel Walker and A.C. Moore sell the lot to James Mills, E.S. Townsend and D. O. Mills for $1300
1852 Townsend sells to D. O. and James Mills. The lot has a frame building which houses the post office in the back
1853 The bank, post office and Hunnewell's book and stationery store are in the building
1854 D. O. Mills is the sole owner of the brick building with a secret passage leading to the assay and smelting office. The counter in the bank is of mahogany with black walnut trim and carved moldings
1855 The first telegraph in Columbia is installed
1857 D. O. and Edgar Mills sell the building to W. O. Sleeper and A. E.Hooker for $10,000. Sleeper opens his bank
1860 A. E. Hooker sells to Sleeper for $7500
1861 The assay office moves into the post office space and the telegraph office moves out
1865 Sleeper, facing financial problems, is forced into selling to William C. Ralston from San Francisco for $5,000
1866 Wm. S. Hutchinson and Jos. Gilman buy the building for $1000, they run a news depot, stationery and grocery store. They bring the telegraph back into the building. Later Gilman sells to Hutchinson
1875 Hutchinson sells to Michael Mooney of Visalia
1876 Mooney sells to Wm. Siebert, for $300, who later sells a half interest to Frank Vassallo
1880 Lyman Tibbits rents the building for a drugstore
1881 Tibbits becomes the postmaster, so the post office returns to the building until 1895.
1889 Vassallo sells his half interest to Wm. Siebert
1897 Siebert sells his interest to Mrs. Kate Siebert
1899 Post office returns until 1911
1911 Tibbits moves out
1922 Mrs. Naegele buys the building for $10. The roof has fallen in and the floor is rotten. She renovates the building, adds 10 sleeping rooms upstairs, with a candy store on the main floor
1940 Leases to Rex Nelson for a candy store 1951 The state purchases the building from Pauline Naegele. Rex and Dorothy Nelson are operating the Columbia Candy Kitchen
1950s Candy Kitchen would open in the evenings after theater was over
1964 Dick and Ola Mae Nelson (Rex's son and daughter-in-law) take over the candy business
1971 Mike and Janice Nelson (Dick's son and daughter-in-law) take over the business
1974 The Nelson's Candy Kitchen moves to their current location
1980 The building is renovated and restored
1984 El Capitan bank opens. It was been a bank again ever since.
Today It is The Central California Bank

Wells Fargo Building
D.O. Mills Building
Chicken Coop
Columbia Mercantile
Saint Charles Saloon
Masonic Hall
School House
Brady Building


2000-2005 Columbia California Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 1824, Columbia, CA, 95310
209-536-1672